ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM

It's a bit of a challenge in a few areas. Right now I'm trying to get the radio to fit properly. I don't think it's the dash though, had the same issue with the original dash. It's a Ken Harrison cassette radio that's supposed to fit these dashes. The face slides through the dash so there is no movement up or down once it's in. The volume knob post is not centered in the hole in the dash, too high, the tuning post is centered. The fader and balance knobs sit down in the holes, at least they're supposed to. Because the post isn't centered the knob won't fit down in the opening.

It's always something! Good thing I don't have any work to do, the kind you get paid for, or I'd never get this done.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Loosened the volume post and faceplate on the radio to try and get better alignment of the post in the hole. Still no go. The hole in the face of the dash tapers, get's smaller deeper in. The fader and balance knobs were just too big around at the base so I cut off the back edge and got them installed. Here are some better pics of the lettering after removing the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0027_019.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	413   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0028_020.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	414   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0029_021.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	415   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0030_022.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	416  

My Chevelle
Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 PM

Very nice, The lettering came out great. I will be working on mine this weekend. Gauges look good in it.

Last edited by shadowgray396; 05-19-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Administrator Bowtie Member

It came out beautiful. I'm considering trying that on ours.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Looks great. How do you find the time with all that laundry you have to do .
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Barnes View Post
It's tough Ray, really tough.

I was finishing up the radio wiring and noticed the heater control, what a mess. Figured I'll never have another chance to clean it up so I pulled the knobs and face plate. Now if I could just find someone who knows how to polish the lens, hint, hint, I'd be in business.

Also have to figure out what to do with the piece that goes behind the lens. It's a sheet of very thin black vinyl on a piece of thin cardboard. The vinyl is dried out and wrinkled. Maybe just paint a piece of cardboard.

My Chevelle
Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Barnes View Post
Ray,
I was thinking the same thing, it's really nice that Lynda lets him put his dash on top of all the laundry...or he will be in trouble if she sees this picture? It also looks like he just got done ironing but did not put it away yet.

Hank,
It looks great, I can't wait to have you help me on my interior when I redo it...I'll let you do the seats as I know how much fun you had on yours....again the dash looks great and I can't wait to see it.

Last edited by RBeckman; 05-19-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
It's tough Ray, really tough.

I was finishing up the radio wiring and noticed the heater control, what a mess. Figured I'll never have another chance to clean it up so I pulled the knobs and face plate. Now if I could just find someone who knows how to polish the lens, hint, hint, I'd be in business.

Also have to figure out what to do with the piece that goes behind the lens. It's a sheet of very thin black vinyl on a piece of thin cardboard. The vinyl is dried out and wrinkled. Maybe just paint a piece of cardboard.
Believe it or not I have a fix for your black vinyl piece. I made a new one for mine and it came out great.

As for the polishing the lens...stop by and I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM

I found some vinyl and just cut a new one. Looks pretty good. I polished the lens best I could. Problem is the backside has the lettering so you have to stay away from that.

I have to get out there and finish the wires and put the defrost duct back in. It looked nasty too so I pulled it out, washed it and sprayed the part you can through the windshield. I better stop looking for more stuff to clean up or I'll never be done.

My Chevelle
Old 05-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
I found some vinyl and just cut a new one. Looks pretty good. I polished the lens best I could. Problem is the backside has the lettering so you have to stay away from that.

I have to get out there and finish the wires and put the defrost duct back in. It looked nasty too so I pulled it out, washed it and sprayed the part you can through the windshield. I better stop looking for more stuff to clean up or I'll never be done.
That always happens to me Hank. I'll tear something apart thinking its just gonna be a quick tear down and assembly. Once I get it tore apart, I always find more to do, and it ends up taking 2 to 3 times as long to put it back together.
My engine has been on the engine stand for a month now. I figure since I have the engine out what better time to throw in a hotter cam. The list of things to do keeps getting longer the deeper I get into this "Chevelle Rejuvination 2010" project.